It seems as though everyone is going nuts for coconuts. Coconut-based products are popping up everywhere (think coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut shreds, coconut water, coconut milk and cream, coconut flour and more).
That’s because that unrefined coconut oil is affordable, readily available, and completely natural. It’s also anti-carcinogenic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, an antioxidant, improves nutrient absorption and is nontoxic to humans and animals.
The flesh of the coconut is very high in healthy fatty acids that are easily digested, absorbed, and utilized by the body.
Coconut oil is very versatile and has a wide variety of personal hygiene and skin uses including:
- Reducing the appearance of age spots
- Helps in healing bruises
- Stopping itchy bug bites
- Reducing the scarring from burns
- Moisturizer for entire body including lips
- Hair conditioner
- Reducing the appearance of stretch marks
- Relief for sunburns
Coconut oil is also useful in aiding general health and wellness:
- Bones and teeth – coconut oil aids in the absorption of calcium and magnesium leading to better development of bones and teeth.
- Digestion – the saturated fats in coconut oil help control parasites and fungi that cause indigestion and other digestion related problems such as irritable bowel syndrome. The fat in coconut oil also aids in the absorption of vitamins, minerals and amino acids.
- Fitness – coconut oil can help stimulate your metabolism, improve thyroid function, and escalate energy levels, all of which help decrease your unwanted fat while increasing muscle.
- Insulin support – it can help improve insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose making it great for both diabetics and non-diabetic.
- Gum health – oil pulling with coconut oil cleanses gums and stimulates overall oral health.
- Vitamin and nutrient absorption – it makes fat-based nutrients more available to the body – ie. vitamin A, D, E, K
- Weight loss – the saturated fats contribute to weight loss and controlling cravings.